Traveling from Volos to Skiathos by ferry
At the moment there is no direct ferry connection from Athens (Piraeus or Rafina) to Skiathos and the rest of the Sporades islands. Don’t worry though! The port of Volos is currently the top port destination if you want to get to Skiathos by ferry anytime in the year. Find out further below all the ports in mainland Greece that you can reach from Athens and from where you can travel to Skiathos.
Ferry schedules from Volos to Skiathos*
Is there a ferry from Athens to Skiathos?
Even though there isn’t a direct ferry route to Skiathos from Athens, you can get there from the ports of Volos or Mantoudi in Euboea, during the whole year. There are over 15 weekly crossings in total during the summer. The route is usually serviced by 3 ferry companies: Aegean Flying Dolphins, Blue Star Ferries and Anes Ferries.
How to get to the port of Volos from Athens?
Volos is located in central Greece, around 320km from Athens and its port is located near the city center. You can reach the city of Volos by car or intercity buses (KTEL). The trip from Athens to Volos takes around 3.5 hours.
How to get to the port of Mantoudi from Athens?
The port of Mantoudi is in Euboea, at a distance of 140km from Athens. You can reach Mantoudi by car or bus in approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes.
How long is the ferry ride from Athens to Skiathos?
The Volos to Skiathos ferry duration ranges from approximately 1.5 to 3.5 hours, depending on ferry company and vessel type. On the other hand, the trip from Mantoudi to the port of Skiathos takes around 2.5 hours.
Is there a high-speed ferry to Skiathos?
Yes, you can travel with a high-speed ferry from Volos and Mantoudi to Skiathos. The fastest ferry to Skiathos makes the trip in approximately 1.5 - 2.5 hours.
How much is the ferry from Athens to Skiathos?
The Volos - Skiathos ferry price ranges from approximately €19.5 to €33.5. As for the Mantoudi - Skiathos crossing, the standard ticket costs €23. The ticket cost can be higher or lower depending on discounts, offers, seat and vessel type, as well as vehicle selection. Take into account that you need some extra money for gas or for the intercity bus (KTEL) ticket from Athens to Volos or Mantoudi.
What’s the ferry schedule from Athens to Skiathos?
There are 2-3 daily ferry crossings from Volos to Skiathos during the summer. The earliest ferry usually departs from Volos at 07:45 and arrives in Skiathos at 10:10, while the latest scheduled trip to Skiathos from Volos is around 18:00, arriving at 20:25.
Regarding the Mantoudi - Skiathos ferry route, there is a daily ferry departure, usually between 15:00 and 17:00.
Good to know: ferry schedules are subject to change depending on the season. Find the latest information and check real-time data for ferries from Volos and Mantoudi to Skiathos on our fare search engine.
What’s the distance between Athens and Skiathos?
The total distance between Athens and Skiathos is around 400km.
Am I allowed to travel from Athens to Skiathos?
For the latest information on COVID-19 and ferry travel in Greece, visit our relevant FAQ section.
Beach like paradise with sand and crystal waters in Skiathos
Where can I book cheap ferry tickets from Athens to Skiathos?
The Ferryhopper real-time fare search engine has itineraries, schedules and prices in order to book ferry tickets from Volos or Mantoudi to Skiathos. Check our Map of ferries to find all available ferry combinations to choose from regarding your trip from Athens to Skiathos.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Athens to Skiathos
- Buses from Athens to Volos depart daily from Kifissos intercity bus station (KTEL Kifissou), around 6km from the city center.
- On the other hand, buses to Euboea depart also daily from intercity bus station Liosia, which is easily accessible by the subway.
- The port of Volos is located 15-20 minutes from the city bus and train stations. The port passenger terminal is within walking distance from the city center.
- The port of Mantoudi is located on the north side of Euboea and 60km from Chalkida.
- On Ferryhopper, you can discover holiday tips for Skiathos as well as island-hopping options to Skopelos and Alonissos.
- Find more information about Covid-19 ferry safety measures and learn how to stay safe during your trip to Skiathos.
- The port area in Volos gets quite busy and it may be challenging to find secure parking. Book parking at the port of Volos in advance to make sure you have a smooth trip.
- For more information about the trip from Athens to Skiathos, arrival ports and departure times, do not hesitate to contact the Ferryhopper Customer Support Team!
Ferry companies are usually quite flexible when it comes to luggage size and weight. You can keep your luggage next to you or store your bags and suitcases in the designated luggage area on the ferry from Volos or Mantoudi to Skiathos.
Good to know: bear in mind that there is no check-in procedure for luggage items.
Tip: each ferry company has its own baggage allowance policy. We recommend that you don’t carry more than 50kg of luggage to avoid delays due to restricted space in the luggage area.
High-speed ferries do not have cabins, but they have numbered seats. There are cabins and numbered seats on standard ferries for a more comfortable journey.