Traveling from Heraklion (Crete) to Athens (port of Piraeus) by ferry
There are 2 to 5 ferry crossings per day from Heraklion to Piraeus, depending on the season. The duration of the ferry trip is approximately 9 hours. Find all information regarding ticket prices and departure times. Compare ferry companies and book your ferry tickets.
Ferry schedules from Heraklion (Crete) to Athens (port of Piraeus)*
Is there a ferry from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
Yes, there are usually 2 ferry crossings per day from 2 ferry operators throughout the whole year. The ferry companies that normally operate on the Heraklion to Piraeus route are Minoan Lines, Anek Lines and Aegeon Pelagos. This is subject to change depending on the season and the weather, but you can compare information and check real-time data on our fare search engine.
How long is the ferry ride from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
The duration of the ferry trip is approximately 9 hours.
How much is the ferry from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
The cost of a one-way economy ticket from Heraklion to Piraeus is around 30€. The final price depends on reductions, offers, seat type, vehicle or cabin selection, and ferry company.
What's the ferry schedule from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
Depending on the season there can be from 2 to 5 ferry departures per day on this ferry route. The majority of the ferries from Heraklion to Piraeus are overnight, while during the summer there are also daily crossings. The earliest ferry is around 09.00 or 10.00 and the latest departure is at 21.00 or 22.00 in the evening.
What is the distance between Heraklion and Athens (Piraeus)?
The distance between the port of Heraklion and the port of Piraeus is approximately 173 nautical miles (namely, 320 km).
Am I allowed to travel from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
Yes, ferry traveling within Greek destinations is allowed. For the latest information on COVID-19 and ferry traveling in Greece please visit our relevant FAQ section.
Where can I book ferry tickets from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)?
On Ferryhopper you can check real-time data and compare information on the ferry route from Heraklion to Piraeus and book your ferry tickets in just 4 clicks!
Sunset hour in the Mikrolimano marina, east of the Piraeus port.
Useful tips for your ferry trip from Heraklion to Athens (Piraeus)
- The port of Heraklion can get crowded during the summer we recommend arriving at the port at least 1 hour in advance of your ferry departure.
- If you are planning to travel with a bed cabin make sure that you book your ferry tickets at least 3 months before the trip.
- The price for a bed cabin ranges from 40€ to 108€ depending on the cabin size and ferry company.
- For seasonal discounts on the Crete - Athens routes, you can check our blog pages.
- Ferry rides can become a bit bumpy during the summer. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. If you feel seasick you can always ask the ferry crew for some aspirin.
- We recommend that you book your return tickets as soon as you can, as in high-season they can sell out quickly.
- If you are looking for more specific information about the port of Piraeus as well as what to do in Athens, you can visit our relevant pages.
- From the port of Piraeus, you can continue your ferry traveling in the Greek islands. Check all the available ferry connections from Piraeus to the Aegean sea, on our Map of ferries.