Traveling from Amorgos to Folegandros by ferry
The islands of Amorgos and Folegandros are connected by direct ferry only during the summer months. The ferry from Amorgos to Folegandros takes approximately 2 hours and it’s usually a high speed vessel which means that it cannot carry vehicles. The ferry ticket cost for this journey is subject to change every year but based on 2019 data, the price is around 69€ for a standard economy seat. You can also travel from Amorgos to Folegandros with indirect ferry routes via the islands of Naxos, Paros, Mykonos or Santorini.
Ferry schedules from Amorgos to Folegandros*
How long is the ferry trip from Amorgos to Folegandros
Amorgos is located east of Folegandros and the distance between the two islands is approximately 140 km (87 miles). The direct ferry trip from Amorgos to Folegandros lasts around 2 hours and it is usually operated by a high speed ferry.
How can I get from Amorgos to Folegandros?
You can get from Amorgos to Folegandros with both direct and indirect ferry connections.
- Direct ferry from Amorgos (Katapola) to Folegandros: During the summer season there is a daily ferry serving the Amorgos - Folegandros route. The ferry route is usually served by high speed vessels that take around 2 hours to reach Folegandros.
- Indirect ferries from Amorgos (Katapola or Aegiali) to Folegandros: During the summer, as well as the winter months, you can get from Amorgos to Folegandros through an indirect ferry route, with a stopover in another island. For example, you can get from Amorgos to Folegandros via Naxos, Paros, Mykonos, Ios or Santorini. The total duration of the Amorgos - Folegandros journey with the indirect ferry option depends on the distance of the stopover island, the layover time, as well as the type of ferry that you choose to travel with. Indicatively the minimum trip duration time is 5 hours and it can get up to 1 day if you would like to take the opportunity and explore the stopover island!
From which port of Amorgos my ferry departs?
The island of Amorgos has two ports, one in the north of the island (Aegiali) and one in the south-west of the island (Katapola). Both ports serve many ferry connections to the neighbouring and nearby islands of the Aegean sea while the distance between the two ports is approximately 25 km (40 minutes drive). The direct ferries from Amorgos to Folegandros usually depart from the port of Katapola.
If however you choose to travel from Amorgos to Folegandros via another island you should check in advance of your ferry trip which is the departure port. Check Ferryhopper and find all ferry connections and ferry schedules from the ports of Amorgos and choose the best options for your summer holidays in the Aegean!
Tips for your ferry trip from Amorgos to Folegandros
- Folegandros is located north west of Santorini and it is often the case that the ferries that serve the Amorgos - Folegandros route stops in Santorini as well. This means that the ferry tickets might sell out fast, since Santorini is one of the top summer destinations in Greece. So we would recommend that if you want to travel from Amorgos to Folegandros during high season, you book your ferry tickets as far in advance as possible!
- The direct ferry ride from Amorgos to Folegandros is quite short (approx. 2 hours) however the weather in the Aegean sea might often be windy during the summer. You don’t have to worry about anything rather than having a bit of a bumpy ferry trip or getting a bit seasick. If you don’t feel well the ferry crew could provide you with an aspirin or a anti-sickness tablet.
- If you would like to transport your own vehicle from Amorgos to Folegandros you will probably have to choose to travel indirectly with two conventional ferries. Usually the Amorgos - Folegandros direct ferry route is operated by a high speed ferry that does not have a garage which means that you cannot carry your car or motorbike with you. On Ferryhopper you can find all direct and indirect ferry connections from Amorgos to Folegandros, and choose the itinerary that best suits your needs, in the best possible price!
- If you are planning to stay in Folegandros a day or two, we would recommend that you rent a car or a motto to explore the villages and beaches of the island. And before you leave Folegandros make sure that you walk up to the Church of Panagia in Chora and enjoy the breathtaking view to the Aegean.
- From Folegandros you can also get cheap ferry rides to the nearby islands of Ios, Sifnos, Milos, Kimolos or Sikinos. Have a look at our Ferry Map and find the best and cheapest itinerary for your island hopping in the Cyclades!