Amalfi Coast: cars are dead, long live the ferry!
Escape the road traffic in style
The Amalfi Coast is one of the most beautiful places in Italy, but for many travelers the idea of getting stuck in traffic due to the hordes of visitors is somewhat problematic. We feel you!
The dilemma of how to move between Amalfi and Positano or how to reach more beautiful coastal villages stress-free has only one solution: catch a ferry!
Find out why 🙃
Sailing by the beautiful coast of Amalfi
Can I get to the Amalfi Coast without a car?
Of course you can! Thanks to the ferry companies Alilauro, Positano Jet, Caremar, Seremar, NLG and Travelmar you can reach the ports of the Amalfi Coast by ferry from April to October.
Read on and discover the pros of getting around the Amalfi Coast by boat and the cons of using a car or motorbike:
Advantages of traveling to the Amalfi Coast by ferry
As experienced travelers, we tried to figure out what could be the best way to explore the villages of the Amalfi Coast. The answer is certainly to travel by sea!
Here are some pros of traveling by ferry to the villages of the Amalfi Coast:
- You avoid the traffic jam in the busy area of Amalfi.
- You enjoy beautiful views of the coast from the sea.
- You reach more villages in a short time thanks to the frequent ferry connections.
- You save on skyrocketing gas costs and spend less thanks to cheap tickets.
Why not drive around the Amalfi Coast
Traveling with your own vehicle may appear to be the most comfortable solution on vacation. In the case of the Amalfi Coast, however, there are some downsides to take into account:
- Parking is a well-known challenge in the Amalfi Coast, and the few available parking spaces are private and quite expensive.
- During weekends, holidays and the high season, traffic on the Amalfi Coast reaches its peak.
- The uphill streets of the Amalfi Coast are quite challenging on a motorbike.
- Carrying luggage by bike is quite tiring and uncomfortable.
- Starting June 18, 2022, there is a car ban on road 163 that connects Vietri sul Mare to Positano. With certain exceptions, cars with a plate ending in an odd number will only not able to circulate on odd days and vice versa. The ban is active from 10am to 6pm on weekends until July 31st, as well as throughout the months of August and September.
Is it better to use public transport to get around the Amalfi Coast?
Buses surely allow you to travel without the stress of driving. But is it among the most comfortable means to use in the Amalfi Coast? Despite the modest price of bus tickets, it’s not the best option (locals’ tip)!
One of the reasons is the traffic: due to delays caused by traffic jams, timetables are rarely followed.
Also, buses do not allow total autonomy and crowded routes may mean you end up having to wait for the next bus or the bus after that!
The wonderful Positano illuminated with the last light of the sunset
Where can I book ferry tickets to the Amalfi Coast?
On Ferryhopper, you can find all routes to reach the villages of the Amalfi Coast and book your ferry tickets at no additional cost. Forget about traffic, parking and stress, and experience an unforgettable adventure in Italy among villages overlooking the sea, dreamlike waters and postcard views!
Tip: since the ferry is undoubtedly the best solution to get around the Amalfi Coast, it is also the most popular. We therefore suggest that you book your tickets in advance and arrive at the port of departure on time.