Explore the best islands in Spain for vacation with your dog
Find out which pet-friendly Spanish island suits you and your dog best!
The Balearic and Canary Islands in Spain are the ultimate destination for dog owners. Spacious dog-loving apartments and hotels, endless beaches and fun activities promise you the most amazing experience! Explore the best Spanish islands for a dog vacation on Ferryhopper!
The best Spanish Islands for your dreamy holidays with your dog are:
A dog chilling on El Confital beach in Tenerife
The Balearic Islands wag their tail at you
The Balearic Islands are located in the western Mediterranean Sea and are part of Spain. They consist of 4 major islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza, Formentera). The Balearic islands are all in for pets with Mallorca and Menorca turning more and more places into pet-friendly spots!
Mallorca is the largest and most visited island of the Balearic Sea. It is perfect for holidays with your dog combining great beaches and exciting activities.
Also, the capital of the island, Palma de Mallorca, is definitely a dog city! In fact, it is the city with the most dogs per resident in entire Spain!
So, let’s find out what Mallorca has to offer for the best vacation with your dog:
- Beaches: you and your loyal friend can explore the most stunning dog-friendly beaches in Mallorca! Some of them are Es Carnatge and Cala Gamba in Palma de Mallorca and Cala Blanca in Andratx. Ready for some splish and splash in the island's crystalline waters?
- Activities: if you’re looking forward to stretching your legs and wandering through the natural landscapes, go hiking! The hiking trails of the Raixa route near the capital await you and your dog to run, explore and fill your lungs with fresh air.
- Accommodation: most pet-friendly hotels and apartments are located in the capital, Palma de Mallorca looking forward to welcoming you and your little buddy.
- Transportation: public transport in Mallorca allows entrance to pets. So, you can easily get around the island on a bus with your dog! However, renting a car is the best option, letting you free to explore hidden corners with your dog.
- Ferries: are you and your best friend inseparable? Both GNV and Baleària ferry companies turn your ferry trip to Mallorca into a relaxing experience. They have pet-friendly cabins with air conditioning and specially designed dog walking areas. They also offer daily sanitization services.
Two buddies playing with waves on the Cala Blanca beach in Andratx, Mallorca
Menorca is one of the best destinations for relaxing and quiet holidays and it’s also a huge fan of dogs!
Dogs are welcome in Menorca with lots of places and activities for them:
- Beaches: Menorca boasts 4 gorgeous beaches where your pet can accompany you. Cala Fustam, Cala Escorxada, and Cala Prudent are quiet, sandy beaches with no time restrictions for pets. However, Binigaus beach allows dogs from 7pm to 9am.
- Activities: the best way to discover the island's natural wealth with your dog is the Camí de Cavalls, a 185km path along the coastline. Alternatively, your doggo can run loose in one of the green areas and parks of Menorca.
- Accommodation: in Menorca, you can find dog-friendly hotels for every taste. Accommodation near the coast, family-friendly, adult-only or even rural hotels are only a few of your options! Most of them are situated in Ciutadella and Mahón or Maó, the capital of Menorca.
- Transportation: visually-impaired passengers can travel with their guide dogs while small pets should be in their carriers in all means of transport in Menorca.
- Ferries: if you are looking for a comfortable journey to Menorca, then Baleària is a great option! The pet-friendly ferry company has the perfect cabin for your dog with a vinyl floor and a special cleaning protocol for maximum hygiene. Plus, you can request a feeder and a platform with a soaker for your friend.
Tip: there is actually a “Dogspital” where dogs can visit their owners, the patients in the Mateu Orfila Hospital since 2019!
The secluded, dog-friendly beach of Cala Escorxada in Menorca
Letting your dog unleash in the Canary Islands
Tenerife, Gran Canaria, and Lanzarote are among the most pet-friendly Canary Islands. They organize annually various pet campaigns such as the “Vacation with my dog” in Gran Canaria and try to increase the number of pet-friendly spaces!
Tenerife is a great destination for holidays with your dog having many pet-friendly beaches, fun activities, and more paw-friendly options:
- Beaches: head or tails? If it is tails, your dog decides where you’re going next! El Puertito, El Confital, and El Cabezo beaches are sandy coastlines, ideal for dogs!
- Activities: endless games and fun activities for your dog await you in Tenerife! For running and playing until you drop, follow the alluring trails of Anaga Rural Park.
- Accommodation: Tenerife has many dog-friendly accommodation options, from boutique hotels and bungalows built in the traditional Canarian style to eco-friendly rural houses!
- Transportation: the best way to get around Tenerife with your dog is to rent a car or bring your vehicle from mainland Spain. Bear in mind that only animals up to 10kg traveling in a carrier are allowed on public transport in Tenerife and not all taxis are pet-friendly.
- Ferries: if you travel from Huelva to Tenerife, Fred. Olsen Express offers pet-friendly cabins for dogs up to 30kg. Alternatively, you can travel with Naviera Armas where you can relax with your doggo in the seating lounge or enjoy the breeze on the ship's outdoor decks. Your pet should be within a carrier and its weight should be up to 10kg.
A playful dog strolling around the trees of Anaga forest in Tenerife
Gran Canaria is a paradise for dogs! On the island, you and your furry friend can enjoy beautiful beaches, diverse landscapes to run, play and sniff, as well as exciting activities to try:
- Beaches: pooches love chasing and barking playfully at the waves! The dog-friendly Boca Barranco and Los Tres Peos are ideal for you and your dog.
- Activities: do you like the idea of you and your best friend having some cool holiday photos looking like Lucky Luke and Rantanplan? Visit Sioux City Park, an American Old West theme park located south of Gran Canaria. Have fun taking sides with the legendary outlaws or barking at the Sherrif!
- Accommodation: most dog-friendly hotels are located in Maspalomas. There, you can choose among apartments and hotels right next to the coastline!
- Transportation: public transport is paw-friendly in Gran Canaria, allowing you to get on the bus also known as “Guaguas”. So, let’s have a bus tour around the most beautiful places on the island!
- Ferries: you can travel by ferry with your dog to Gran Canaria and enjoy a carefree journey with Trasmediterránea! The ferry company has kennels to provide your pet with the greatest comfort during the crossing. Also, Trasmediterránea has a first-aid kit for pets and a 24-hour animal hotline in case of emergency.
The breathtaking view of Las Palmas with palm trees and turquoise waters in Gran Canaria
Lanzarote is famous for its spectacular natural landscapes! Here, you can find amazing beaches and activities for our furry friends:
- Beaches: Playa de las Coloradas in the south of Lanzarote and Playa de Guacimeta close to the airport are beautiful beaches offering long coastlines for endless games with your doggie!
- Activities: visit the Charco de los Clicos, an impressive green lagoon where your four-legged friend can blow off steam and enjoy a picnic!
- Accommodation: in the small coastal town of Arrecife (the capital of Lanzarote), you can find pet-friendly hotels awaiting you and your doggie for the ultimate holiday experience.
- Transportation: small pets can travel by public transport, as long as they are in their carriers. This way, you're guaranteed a comfortable trip with your loyal friend!
- Ferries: you can catch a pet-friendly ferry to Lanzarote and enjoy your ferry trip with Líneas Romero. Sit comfortably with your dog in the passenger lounge or have a stroll with your dog on the dock! However, pets should be on a leash during the entire ferry trip. Plus, Líneas Romero allows pets to travel for free!
Tip: for a great day trip, hop on a ferry from Lanzarote to La Graciosa in just 30 minutes.
Book pet ferry tickets for Spain
So, are you ready for the most magical holidays with your dog on a Spanish island? See all available ferry connections for the Balearic and Canary archipelago, compare ferry companies and book cheap pet ferry tickets on Ferryhopper!