Trip from Ibiza to Formentera: which ferry company to choose
Compare all ferry operators for the Ibiza - Formentera crossing
Formentera is the smallest among the Balearic Islands and is located 19 km south of Ibiza. It is a beautiful, relaxing and hippie destination, where you can enjoy the sun and the sea. You travel to Formentera from Ibiza or mainland Spain exclusively by ferry, as there is no airport on the island. The Ibiza - Formentera ferry route is quite popular for day trips, especially in the summer.
On Ferryhopper, we have gathered all the information you need to help you with your ferry trip from Ibiza to Formentera and choose a ferry company:
- The companies operating the ferry route
- Trip frequency and duration
- Ferry ticket prices
- Ferry ticket policies
- Vehicle transportation
- Accessibility amenities
- Pet travel
- Environmental policies
Amazing waters at the Ses Illetes beach in Formentera
Which ferry companies operate the Ibiza - Formentera ferry route?
How many crossings a day are there and how long is the Ibiza - Formentera ferry ride?
As the Ibiza to Formentera ferry connection is quite popular, there are more than 35 daily ferry crossings in total:
- Aquabus: the company operates up to 12 daily crossings to Formentera in the summer and 1 crossing in the winter. The ferry trip lasts approximately 30 minutes.
- Baleària: the company operates over 25 daily crossings to Formentera in the summer and up to 5 in the winter. The ferry journey is 30 minutes with high-speed catamarans and 1 hour with conventional ferries.
- Mediterranea Pitiusa: the company serves 16 daily sailings in the high season, with decreased frequency and availability in the winter months. The duration of the ferry journey ranges from 25 to 40 minutes, depending on the type of the vessel.
- Trasmapi: the company operates more than 15-20 daily routes in the summer and several in the winter. The ferry trip takes about 30 minutes.
Passengers taking a swim around an Aquabus ferry
How much does the ferry ticket for Ibiza - Formentera cost?
The ferry tickets start at around €15. There are special discounts and offers for certain passenger categories, such as kids, locals, the elderly and youth card owners.
- Aquabus: the company’s ticket prices cost around €15. Children 3-12 years old and residents travel at a reduced fare.
- Baleària: the ticket for the conventional ferry costs €15-€20, while for high-speed vessels it costs €29.50. Baleària offers discounts for Balearic residents, large or single-parent families, children, seniors (over 60), and youth card owners.
- Mediterranea Pitiusa: the company’s ferry tickets usually cost €24. There are special discounts for children up to 12 years old, seniors (over 60), large families, and residents.
- Trasmapi: the company’s ferry ticket is usually at €29. There are special discounts for children up to 13 years old, seniors (over 60), large groups, and residents.
Occasionally, ferry companies run special offers. On Ferryhopper, you will find all available offers for the Ibiza - Formentera ferry route. Current offers will be automatically applied when booking your ferry ticket.
Tip: if you are entitled to a discount, don’t forget to bring and present the necessary documents when embarking on the ferry.
A Transmapi ferry with passengers on deck
What is the ticket policy for the Ibiza - Formentera ferry route?
All ferry companies operating the route from Ibiza to Formentera have a cancellation policy and open tickets without a specific return date.
Can I take my vehicle to Formentera from Ibiza?
The Balearic regional government has recently limited the number of motor vehicles allowed on Formentera from the end of June until the beginning of September, in order to promote sustainable holidays. During those months, you need to apply for a permit in order to transport, drive and park your vehicle on the island.
You can transfer your car or caravan to Formentera only with Baleària or Transmapi. All 4 companies, however, allow the transportation of bicycles or motorbikes under 125cc to Formentera, free of charge.
In any case, Formentera is a small island and can be easily explored without a car, so we recommend you bring or rent a bike, or even get around on foot.
A Mediterranea Pitiusa ferry reaching the port of La Savina
Are the ferries serving the Ibiza - Formentera route accessible?
People with disabilities or requiring special assistance can travel comfortably with most of the 4 ferry companies, as there are dedicated services and trained personnel, always available to help:
- Baleària: the vessels of this ferry company have many facilities for people with limited mobility, visual or hearing problems, or even pregnant women. There are amenities such as adapted seats, toilets, wheelchairs, and bed cabins.
- Mediterranea Pitiusa: the ferry company can provide wheelchairs and 2 vessels of their fleet are specially designed for people with reduced mobility. Trained staff will also assist people with disabilities, both during boarding and during the ferry ride.
- Trasmapi: the ferry company staff can assist people with disabilities so that they have a pleasant ferry trip. In addition, guide dogs that accompany visually impaired people are allowed for free in the lounge of the ferry, as long as they remain close to their owners.
- Aquabus: there is no official mention of services for people requiring special assistance.
Tip: in case you require special assistance, getting in touch with the company prior to the ferry trip is highly suggested.
A Baleària ferry en route to the beautiful Formentera
Can I travel with my pet from Ibiza to Formentera?
All ferry companies let you travel with your pet for free. Some of them have special kennels for your dog and you can even bring your cat or reptile cage with you.
- Baleària: there are special facilities with cages where you can keep your dog or, depending on the size, it can stay inside a cage you have brought yourself. However, it is prohibited to walk out in the lounge or on the deck of the ferry.
- Mediterranea Pitiusa: on some vessels, small pets are allowed inside, provided that they stay in their cage. However, you can let your dog walk on the exterior deck if it’s kept on a leash and wears a muzzle. Guide dogs are allowed everywhere on the ferry.
- Trasmapi: you can travel with your pet as long as it stays in its cage, as there are no special pet cages on the ferries. Keep in mind that large-sized pets can only travel on the deck and if the weather conditions are bad, they are not allowed to travel at all.
- Aquabus: this ferry company allows pet transportation without specific conditions.
Tip: some of the ferry companies demand documentation for your pet, such as its health card.
Cool dog enjoying the ferry ride from Ibiza to Formentera on deck
Which of the ferry companies operating the ferry route Ibiza - Formentera are eco-friendly?
Nowadays, more and more companies add eco-friendly vessels to their fleet and implement practices that contribute significantly to environmental sustainability.
- Baleària: this company has an impressive environmental policy, as it already owns 2 vessels that use LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) instead of fuel oil, considerably reducing CO2 emissions. Furthermore, the company is gradually replacing ferry engines with more eco-friendly ones and is implementing recycling, plastic reducing and electricity energy-saving practices.
- Mediterranea Pitiusa: there is a late-night crossing connecting Ibiza and Formentera served by Aigües de Formentera, a technologically advanced vessel with eco-friendly engines and lower fuel consumption.
- Trasmapi: the company participates in the Be Blue Formentera project on sustainability and the protection of the marine environment. They have started manufacturing vessels that are equipped with eco-friendly technologies and recycling or other waste bins. Finally, the company regularly organizes activities like beach cleaning.
- Aquabus: there is no mention of their environmental practices.
Book ferry tickets from Ibiza to Formentera
Found the company that suits your needs for your ferry trip from Ibiza to Formentera? Now that you made your choice, the hardest part is over! All that’s left is for you to book your ferry tickets to Formentera on Ferryhopper, easily and with no hidden fees!
Tip: to better visualize your ferry trip across the Balearics, check out our interactive Map of ferries and plan your excursion step-by-step.